Gastroenterology/fruit sensitivity

Whenever I eat raw fruit (with the exception of bananas) my stomach becomes painful and bloated for a while after, even after eating only a small amount. I can eat both dried and cooked fruit fine, but anything fresh and it causes these problems. About 15 years ago i got very ill (severe stomach pain, dizziness, exhaustion) doctors couldn't find a cause so I changed my diet massively, cutting out sugar, gluten and dairy and eating only home cooked wholefoods. I found out that I was intolerant to wheat. My health improved gradually and now I feel really healthy and am rarely ill, aside from anemia. I've had an endoscopy to try to see why i wasn't absorbing iron, which only showed a small area of inflammation. The doctor thinks it's just because of my vegan diet. The iron supplements resolve this, but the issue with fruit won't go away. I was wondering if you might be able to suggest what's going on.

Thank you,

Dear Kathryn
If you have intolerance to just fresh fruit but can eat dried and coked fruit, you may have
  Sensitivity to residual pesticides or other chemicals in the fresh fruit
  You do not have enough enzymes to digest cellulose
  You have individual intolerance for some fruits
By common sense, you have to avoid products, which cause the symptoms like you did with gluten and milk. Another point is that strictly vegans have deficiency of the essential nutrients. It may lead to inner organs neuropathy with pains after meals. Vitamin B-12 injections, Zinc, Iron, Iodine, digestive enzymes that have celllulaze can be helpful in your case.
Have good health
Peter Melamed, Ph.D.

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN