Hello Doctor,
 About 5 years ago I was in the hospital with sever gastroparisis.  I lost over half my weight.   
   The doctor put me on prednizone and said I also had celiac disease and not to eat wheat, rye or barley.   I did not like the prednizone and he instead put me on 2 tablets metheltrexate once a week.    I have been taking this all these years.  At first he said it would be temporary and each appointment he discussed taking me off.  But then he said I must take it the rest of my life.   I also feel waylaid because he doesn't see or monitor me for the last 2 years.  My regular doctor said he feels very uncomfortable with me taking it but will not interfere with the specialist.
  So now I also have diabetes and I worry about other complications.  Can you offer any advice about the dangers of taking metheltrexate and what would happen if I was taken off of it?

Dear Dan
Gastroparesis is a symptom of the various conditions. In many cases, it is difficult to verify the real cause. The most common reasons for gastroparesis is suppression of the normal motility of the stomach such as
•   Certain medications, which influence autonomic nervous system
•   Neuropathy after diabetes, Parkinson's, heavy metals, dysbiosis, etc
•   Deficiency of minerals
•   Infection (bacterial, viral, yeast)
•   Post-op conditions
•   Hormonal changes

From your letter, it in unknown why specialist gives you Methotrexate for the rest of your life.
We live in the capitalism in the medicine. It means that by “gold rule” doctor cannot stop the medication that was prescribed by another doctor.
Doctor is just only adviser how to prevent and treat your disease. Health is yours. Educate yourself, go for second, third opinion, take the tests. You have to have the clear diagnosis and reasons for treatment.

Have good health,

Peter Melamed. Ph.D

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN