Gastroenterology/Spchincter of Oddi dysfunction?

Hello, I am a 22 year old, healthy male, ideal weight and all that.

When I was 18 I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically... no complications... but a year ago I began having biliary-like pain that lasted no more than an hour and 30 minutes and would then subside. It happens episodically about twice per week at random and doesnt have any one reliable trigger.
I've had perhaps 3 or 4 dozen of these attacks since the issue began.
The pain is similar to the extreme pain I felt when I had my gallbladder removed... while it can be mild or moderate, it is usually incapacitating and causes my heart to race. It is definitely biliary in origin.
This pain can be triggered by stress, overexcitement, sometimes fatty meals. It is made better by meditation/relaxing, drinking pure water. This suggests a neuromuscular component rather than something structural like papillary stenosis or a residual stone.

I had an ultrasound of my abdomen and bloodwork done... abdominal ultrasound shows a dilated common bile duct and my liver enzymes are slightly elevated (she said my pancreas looked perfect in every way, however).
She concluded it was ulcers and prescribed PRILOSEC. While the prilosec brought a little relief theoretically by reducing the acid in my duodenum where the Oddi Spchincter is, i was still having attacks albeit at a reduced rate.
After that I requested a antispasmodic, Bentyl.

So far, it looks like I was right. The pain is reduced by maybe 90%, but I cannot handle the side effects of the bentyl. It changes the way I think and makes me dizzy. At work, I can pick up some paperwork and immediately forget what I was doing with it if I take Bentyl. lol.

My question to you:
Can you recommend anything that would help to relax the biliary spchincter??

I have heard that SSRI antidepressants have a relaxing effect on smooth muscles in the gut and dont have the anticholinergic side effects, but something NON PHARMACEUTICAL would be highly preferred!

I'm about to be working two jobs to get back in school, I cant keep having these issues!

Thank you so much for your time, and take care!

Dear Billy,

You have classical postcholecytectomy syndrome with SOD type II, pain, indigestion.
Symptomatic therapy of this condition may give you relieve. However, make no mistake without focus on root of the problem your condition will be worse. “Dilated common bile duct and liver enzymes are slightly elevated” show that pressure inside the common bile duct is high. I do not believe that your pancreas is intact, as well.

Please, go to internet; use the keywords such as my name “Peter Melamed PhD," gallbladder removal," “pain,” “sphincter of Oddi dysfunction” and you will find a lot of information about what occurs when gallbladder is gone and why you experience pain and indigestion.

I can feel that your symptoms badly influence on the quality of life, but I am not at easy situation. It will be unprofessional to give you medical advice without knowing your medical date, life=style, eating habits, etc.
It will be unprofessional to recommend you stopping medications. By the way, you may go to and find all your medications’ side effects. There is Links between Anticholinergic Drugs and Dementia

The best way to help you is: fill up the Biotherapy’s Patient Questionnaire and send it to me by email or fax.

After that, call to my office for phone consultation. For dacades of my medical practice, I helped many with your situation. My non-drug protocol for SOD after GB removal helps many people and can help you too.

Peter Melamed. Ph.D.
Phone: (415) 409-3939
Fax: (415) 409-3909

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN