Gastroenterology/feeling of something stuck in chest

Question
Hello Doctor,

I'm a 30 yo woman, no known gastrointestinal issues except for occasional (mild) heartburn.

In November and December I've been pregnant (I lost the pregnancy unfortunately) and during this time I've had more intense heartburn, which subsided after mid-December.

3 weeks ago I've had a cold which left me with a persistent dry cough which is now starting to resolve, so I've been coughing a lot lately.

The symptom I worry about is that for the past 1-2 weeks I've been feeling like I have something stuck in my esophagus, like a pill or something that's just sitting there and it doesn't help when I swallow or drink a lot of water. I can eat normally, but I always have a feeling like there's a pill stuck in there - even when I haven't taken any pill before - and worse after I do take one. I've tried eating a lot at once and I didn't seem to have any trouble with that either.

The feeling is somewhere in my upper chest, around the neck pit and lower but I'm not sure this is where it actually originate from. Yesterday I took a pill with no water to feel how it goes down and I got the stuck feeling when the pill was lower in the esophagus, near the stomach. Not sure if it actually got stuck or it's just a feeling.

It started quite suddenly, after a bout of more intense heartburn, about 2 weeks ago. I had this feeling for one day, then it went away for the next 5 days and then it started again after taking a pill last Friday and now it's been present for almost 5 days in a row. With variations - sometimes a more intense sensation, other times barely noticeable.

Not many other gastrointestinal symptoms, only occasional heartburn but not worse than what I always have and also some more burping than usual. No pain, indigestion, nausea, vomiting, etc.

I am a bit worried about a possible esophageal cancer - is this something that's likely to be the cause or perhaps something more benign like GERD or hiatal hernia from all the coughing?

Should I wait a couple more weeks before seeing a gastroenterologist? I'm not exactly excited about having an endoscopy since I can't have the sedation - I'm trying for a baby again.

Please let me know your advice and thank you very much!

Answer
Dear      Cristina C

Your symptom is common and there is no connection to esophageal cancer. This is activation of the autonomic nervous system and hypersensitivity. You underwent a huge stress due to miscarriage, viral infection. You possible have yeast overgrowth and worried personality.
I treat my patients with the similar condition by:
  Healthy diet, no sugar, milk, gluten, no spicy foods, drink plenty of water
  Increasing physical activity, walk, swim, yoga, etc
  Acupuncture
  Massage
  Nutritional supplementation: magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, herbal teas (Chamomile, Licorice, Fennel), Valerian root
  Psychological support   

No rush with gastroscopy, you can be scared for nothing.
My concern is your miscarriage. If you had cat at home, ask you doctor to check you for toxoplasmosis. Do not be scared, this a friendly advice.

Have good health.
Peter Melamed, Ph.D.

Gastroenterology

Peter Melamed, PhD