My 28 yr old daughter has had gastroparesis for 7-8 years. Until recently, Domperidone seemed to work quite well for her, but she quit using it after hearing it could cause cardiac issues. She has had some recent A-fib issues. She is feeling miserable. Are there other reasonable options she can try? Also, she had Accutane treatment for acne when she was in her early teens. Could that have caused damage to her vagus nerve resulting in gastroparesis? Thanks for your time.

Dear Ed

Gastroparesis is a symptom of the various conditions. In many cases, it 's hard to verify the real cause of it. Gastroparesis is suppression of the normal motility of the stomach due to malfunction of the autonomic nervous system and digestive hormones (blood messengers).

The most common reasons for gastroparesis are:
•    Certain medications, which influence autonomic nervous system
•    Neuropathy due to internal toxicity, diabetes, heavy metals, dysbiosis, etc
•    Deficiency of the some minerals and vitamins
•    Chronic infection (bacterial, viral, Candida-yeast, SIBO-small intestine bacterial overgrowth)
•    Post-op conditions including gallbladder removal
•    Hormonal changes (low thyroid, estrogen predominance) and more

Everything above may also influence the bowel patterns (diarrhea, constipation), nervous system (anxiety, depression, insomnia, and memory problem), immune system (UTI, chronic sinusitis), hormones (adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, PMS, etc).

Your daughter has to be serious to eight tears long gastroparesis, and it is critical to try to verify the actual causes. Symptomatic treatment just suppresses the symptoms but not real cause and can lead to further chronic problems.

It will be unprofessional to give you medical advice without knowing your daughter's medical date, lifestyle, eating habits, tests, medications, etc. Sorry, I do not know a magic remedy for gastroparesis, but I helped many patients as an MD of ICU and also as the holistic practitioner in the outpatient setting. Always, it needed the custom healing program.

If your daughter continues experiencing this symptom, I can give a good advice and customize for her the healing program without heavy medications. Your daughter is a person number one in this situation. Let her fill up the Biotherapy’s Patient Questionnaire and send it to me by email or fax.

After that, call to my office for phone consultation of three of us.

I wish you and your daughter good health.

Peter Melamed, Ph.D.

Biotherapy Clinic of San Francisco
Phone: (415) 409-3939
Fax: (415) 409-3909

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN