Gastroenterology/aspiration pneumonia

Hi ! I woke up from sleep with feeling of choking /vomit in my mouth. I sat up and it immediately went down. I think something I ate was off. Anyhow I fear I may get aspiration pneumonia now. Is that possible? I wasn't feeling like coughing it just came up and then down when I sat up . I had some water but afraid to sleep now.

Please help.

I had a recent endoscopy which showed very mild gastritis but this episode hasn't happened before.

40yrs old female hashimotos thyroiditis

Dear Anta

I hope you are doing well.

I may presume you had regurgitation at night due to GERD. It means the stomach content through esophagus went to the throat. Typically, it accompanies with the burning sensation in the throat. It does not mean you have or you will have aspiration pneumonia. Hashimoto's thyroiditis may aggravate it.

Some real culprits that turn up time after time are:
1.   Fatty meats and deep-fried foods (barbeque, French fries)
2.   Processed citrus and orange juice
3.   Chocolate
4.   Garlic, fried onions and spicy foods
5.   Coffee and caffeinated drinks
6.   Peppermint
7.   Alcohol consumption
8.   Processed tomato products (salsa, catsup)
9.   Sodas (caffeine and carbonation)
Additional helpful measures to alleviate GERD symptoms are:
•   Avoiding alcohol
•   Not smoking
•   Losing excess weight
•   Standing upright or sitting up straight/maintaining good posture
•   Wearing looser-fitting clothes
•   Raising the head of your bed

In case of the stubborn heartburn, my patients start with
1.   Healing Alkaline Diet
2.   Drinking Healing mineral water prepared from genuine Karlovy Vary thermal spring salt
3.   High doses of good quality of probiotics
4.   High doses of the digestive enzymes
5.   Cellular Magnesium-Potassium supplement

The main way to alleviate the symptoms of GERD is by a healing diet. I mentioned some foods that trigger heartburn and regurgitation. The most effective way of finding personal triggers is to start with an Elimination Diet. More information about diet and GERD may be found in the chapter Dietary Recommendations For Acidic Pancreas and Bile. In my EBook“Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You”, part 2. Healthy alkaline diet is vital.

Sorry, I do not have enough information to give you medical advices.

Have good health.

Peter Melamed, Ph.D.  

Peter Melamed, PhD

I can answer all questions about digestive health, especially in focus on the non-drug, non-surgery treatment. It includes healing diet, acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, healing mineral water, abdominal massage, and cleansing techniques. All these practices are widely used by gastroenterologists all over the world.

This is my everyday job at Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco. I have decades of the experience of working as an MD in ICU, outpatient department and privet practice. I have helped many of my patients with the chronic digestive disorders by using the non-drug, non-knife approach for the 20 years.

I published many articles on internet about gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

MD, Ph.D. in the medical science and also LicAc, RN