Gay/Lesbian/Bi Teens/Coming Out

Question
I'm a teenage girl living in London.I came out to my form tutor and she's really supportive, but I still haven't told my parents. Do you have any ideas on how I could try and talk to them about it?

Answer
Hi Georgina,

Thanks for your question. How old are you? You sound like a very mature girl and definitely sounds like you're ready to make the move.

I would try and figure your parents' attitude towards homosexuality in the first place. From that you can devise the best way of telling them. Perhaps they're appropriate to tell directly or maybe you need to subtley break it to them. As a rule of thumb I would start off casual and earnest.

It's great your tutor supports you. This will be good for you to talk to him or her plus another authority figure will put your parents at ease if they have any concerns.

So let me know how it goes.

Chrissy

Gay/Lesbian/Bi Teens

Chrissy S