Gay/Lesbian/Bi Teens/biproblems

Question
Hi, I'm finding out that I'm probably bisexual. I'm 14 (female) and I have a hard situation. I recently finished this summer camp. I was practicing basketball and there's this counselor that's 17. I really like her so I added her on facebook. I have talked to her once and i found out some stuff about her. The next time I tried to talk to her, she didn't answer me and she hasn't. She doesn't know I like her and we don't know each other very well yet. I want to be in a relationship with her but she doesn't answer my attempts at conversations and I sometimes feel like I'm just annoying her or wasting her time. So, my question is: 1. Should I keep trying to talk to her or just stop, and 2. Should I try to become closer to her or just tell her how I feel and get to know her if she's willing to, say, go out with me?

Answer
Hi Caroline,

Thanks for writing. Firstly let me apologise for the delay. I had trouble with my account and wasn't aware that I was getting questions so I didn't read your message until today!

To be honest, it's very natural to get crushes on authority figures when you're in your teens. She's older and in a position of authority and this can be very attractive. However since you are 14 and she's 17, my advice would be not to pursue this. If she is aware of your crush I suspect she would be distancing herself due to this reason. I'm not saying that the age difference of 3 years is the issue but rather the relative ages between you guys. Believe me if you were 27 and the other person were 30 then there would be no problem. However there are a certain amount of life experiences that a 14 year old will go through in those 3 years which are very formative. I don't think you would have much to relate with each other.

On the bright side, getting crushes on people are a great feeling and part of the experiences which will make you a lot more rounded as a person.

Hope that's helped!

Chrissy

Gay/Lesbian/Bi Teens

Chrissy S