Gay/Lesbian/Bi Teens/Q&A

I am a boy who has a serious mind screwing issue. I like men, I don't like regular women, but I do like transgendered women. I find men very attractive and I also find transgendered women very attractive. so I guess my question is am I gay/bi/ or whatever?

Hi Andrew, it's nice to hear from you.

It is very easy to understand why you would be confused as to if you are Straight, Bi or Gay. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer that I can give to you. Sexuality is fluid meaning that who you are attracted to can change over time to the point where the Straight, Bi and Gay labels really don't apply. I'd like to tell you about someone who is very close to me because I think it'll help you understand what I mean better..

Someone who is very close to me married a woman when he was young. He had 2 kids with her, and 1 day decided to be honest and tell her that he is no longer attracted to any women, and instead only men. He is now dating only men. If we were to look at the labels and try to assign one to him, it would become very difficult to do so.
He wouldn't be Straight, because he left his wife and is now dating only men.
He wouldn't be Bi, because he has no feelings for women at all right now (if he did he says he would have stayed with his wife).
He wouldn't be Gay either because he did have 2 kids with his ex-wife after all, so that wouldn't be accurate either since there were some initial attraction.

As you can see, none of the labels really accurately describes him, however when people asks who he's into, he is honest and says that even though he has an ex-wife and 2 kids, he is now interested in only guys. This is better because it is a more accurate description to who he has feelings for, and he is able to avoid putting a label on himself that would not be completely accurate with who he really is.

Usually whenever I get questions on this website it's when someone would like some assistance with who they're attracted to (questioning their sexuality and would like some tips for it). You are not questioning your sexuality, because you already know who you are into. If anybody asks what you like (and you’re at a point where you’re out) tell them that you are into men and transgendered women and avoid labeling yourself. Some teenagers might not be able to understand why you like transgendered women, but as you get older, you get more freedom with who you hang out with. Those friends of yours (once you have more selection) should be fine with it.

Labels are a way of boxing people into certain categories, when it's not always that simple (such as with you). In my opinion, labels may have once been helpful many years ago; however I feel that they have become old and outdated. I would much rather have people say "I like ___." rather then depend on labels to describe themselves, because I don't feel that it's fair to people like you or that person close to me that I told you about.

I have two final points that I would like to stress before I complete my response.
The first is to not limit yourself to labels that society would like to place on you. You know who you are into, and appear to be accepting of yourself. Being able to do those two things mean way more than any label that you could possibly put on yourself.

Second, I encourage you to own it. Be proud of liking men and transgendered women. I know of some men who likes men, and I also know transgendered people. I would like very much for all of them to be as happy as possible. If you and a man or transgendered woman makes each other happy, go as far with it as you can; as long as you’re both comfortable with what's going on.
Life's too short, not to do otherwise!

If I can help any further, please don't hesitate to send me a follow-up message back at this website.

Take Care,
Josh :)

Gay/Lesbian/Bi Teens

Josh Hawkins

I am a gay man and a recent graduate of an Adult Psychology program and graduated with honors. As a result, I would like to assist anyone out there with any type of challenge that they may be facing. Before I list the type of questions that I may answer, I would like to encourage as many follow-up questions as possible. I'm not here to help you once and leave. I'm here to help you with your challenge every step of the way, until it's 100% completed. Some of the examples of types of questions that I may answer for you include: coming out, various questions of the gay community as a whole, negative feedback, how to handle stress and the emotional roller coaster you may be on.

I have studied in the post secondary education program of Adult Psychology taught at International Career School Canada. While studying in this program, I have learned comprehensive knowledge on a wide variety of psychology topics. Some examples of the types of topics covered in the program were: learning about the views of emotion & how it is linked to motivation, how we learn and the long term effects based on it, the process in which we think and how we affect others with it, how to control stress, how we are all individually different, our personality behavior, how to improve and change our behavior, and how others affect our feelings and happiness.

I have graduated with honors in the Adult Psychology program at International Career School Canada. I also have a second major in General Business, completed in College. In High School I have earned: The Business Certificate, a Certificate of Outstanding Achievement in Science, and a Certificate of Outstanding Achievement in Religion.

I have graduated in my Adult Psychology program with Highest Honors and a 97% overall average.