Gay/Lesbian Issues/im in love w a married woman

Question
I'm a 29 yr old lesbian who has been with my girlfriend for a year now and for the first four months of our relationship she didn't tell me she was married and by that time i had already fell in love. We live together all of us she doesn't have a sexual relationship with him and we have or own room but I'm having a hard time getting over her telling me she will never leave him and so how can this be normal i would like al her time not half. Do i leave bc i know it will never be just her and i or do i work it out and get a house and see if she goes with me what to do in confused

Answer
Hi Bobbie,

Thank you for your email. I certainly appreciate how challenging it must be for you to experience and feel a betrayal of honesty, and from my guess, not a lot of time to process the whole thing before moving in with the two of them. I invite you to give yourself the permission to explore your feelings around the withholding of the information and whether/how it has an impact on your relationship with her now.

Of her telling you she will never leave him sounds pretty clear. If you cannot spend the time that you want with her, consider the both of you focusing on the quality of time you have together despite the lack of quantity of time you desire.

Regarding spending half the time with her... What do you mean by 'literally'? Literally is her time split between you and him? Are they intimate but just don't have sex? Is there children or family involved? Is she simply sharing a house due to finances? Are they really close platonic friends who has made a commitment to each other? Are there other issues that has more to do with him as to why she can't/won't/never leave (example, does he have a physical or mental health illness or other reason why he depends on her?). Their shared history together may also be a factor as to why she can't leave. Asking why 'exactly' she'll never leave may help provide you with clues as to what you ultimately decide to do.

If the answers still point to that she will never leave, she's made her boundaries very clear. Therefore the decision rests on what you decide is best for you. Know that you also have a right to determine the kind of healthy relationship you want for yourself and with another person. This also includes what you are willing to bend, compromise, expand and shift in your own relationship ethics and values.

There's a lot of unknowns from your email but hopefully my response will provide you with an anchor point to help you make a decision. I also recommend visiting your local LGBT center as they may have counsellors available to provide additional support.

Kind regards,
Dr. Reece Malone  

Gay/Lesbian Issues

Reece Malone