Gay/Lesbian Issues/rights.

Where my friends rights violated?

Prom was last weekend on May,11 at city of Hialeah educational academy. Now there was abit of a problem when selecting prom king and queen. My friends are both females in love which ran for Prom KIng and Queen. And guess what? They won! Now the principal had a problem with that and picked the second runner up for Prom King because he said it was "immoral" and "untraditional"

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear what happened to your friends. That's incredibly unfortunate what happened. But the wonderful thing out of all of this is that their peers voted for them and are supportive enough to vote them King and Queen. It's promising that our culture is moving in the right direction.

Then there are situations where people aren't as supportive where homophobia creeps up when we don't expect it. This is obviously what happened to your friends; judging their relationship as immoral. Nontraditional sure, but so are single parents, foster kids, and grand parents who raise the kids.

You ask whether your friend's rights were violated? Well that can be complicated question. Their dignity and respect was definitely violated. But their legal rights is a different situation. What are the rules and policies of being king and queen? Does it 'actually' say that you have to be a natal male and female to hold those spots? I would recommend asking for the policies should you feel comfortable challenging the ruling. It's a grey area because of heterosexism - assuming that the king and queen are 'suppose' to be a male and female. Once you know the actual policies and rules you'll know if your friends have a case of their rights being violated.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Dr. Reece Malone

PS. This would make a good new story (especially on CNN).

Gay/Lesbian Issues

Reece Malone

I can answer questions on sexual orientation, gender identity, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and transsexual sexuality (youth and adult), coming out and disclosure, transgender and gender-non conformity including transition process, how to support a partner of someone GLBT, sexuality and faith/spirituality/religion, safer sex and harm reduction, comprehensive sexuality education, and questions from service providers working with LGBT individuals and families.

I'm currently a full time sexuality educator and facilitator specializing in sexual orientation and gender identity. I hold the positions of the Education Program Coordinator at the Rainbow Resource Centre (supporting LGBTTQ individuals, families and allies) as well as clinical sexologist at Four Rivers Medical Clinic in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. My roles include: sexuality education, counseling/therapy, media spokesperson and consultant. I have sat on several non-profit sexuality organizations as well as been a consultant to the World Health Organization/Pan American Health Organization as well as the Public Health Agency of Canada. For more information visit:

American Association of Sexuality Educators Counselors and Therapists, The Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, The American College of Sexologists, The Canadian AIDS Information Treatment Exchange, The Canadian Professional Association for Transgender Health, The Sexual Health Educator's Network (Manitoba), The International Society for Sexual Medicine.

Malone, R. (2010). "ShoutOut Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Transphobia and Heterosexism." Rainbow Resource Centre. Winnipeg, Canada. Malone, R. et al (2010). "Your Questions Answered. Gender Identity in Schools." Public Health Agency of Canada. Ottawa, Canada.

Undergradate degree in sociology - specialized focus on human sexuality Masters of Public Health (Sexology) Doctorate of Human Sexuality