Gay/Lesbian Issues/I need help for an article I'm working on

Hello, I write for the LGBTQ+ section of Hercampus, the largest online community for college-age women. I'm currently working on an article about the best places for lesbians to meet girls during the summer. Do you have any recommendations for summer hot-spots for queer people to meet? Your input would be very much appreciated!

Greetings Kayla,

Thank you very much for your question. Unfortunately I'm in Canada so I'm unfamiliar with your local hot spots. From anecdotal responses here are some event suggestions:

Dinah Shore

International Ms. Leather / International Ms. Bootblack

Other places that seem to resonate amongst lesbians are:
- Locally owned, eco friendly, feminist owned coffee houses
- Checking out lesbian speed dating events
- Local LGBTQ organization's lesbian discussion group
- University and College Women's Centres
- Dyke March at Pride
- Check out your local LGBTQ summer sports teams and recreation outings
- Summer is also conference season for many cities. Checking out an LGBTQ conference can be fun
- Go to a dog park that is in or near a queer friendly community
- An LGBTQ bar with a patio

If you want to go cheeky/stereotype:
- Befriend a gay guy with lots of lesbians around him (networking opportunities)
- Hang out with a Women and Gender Studies professor (more networking opportunities)

Off the top of my head, that's all I can think of. If I think of other ways, I'll make sure to send them over to you.

All the best with your article.

Kind regards,

Dr. Reece Malone  

Gay/Lesbian Issues

Reece Malone

I can answer questions on sexual orientation, gender identity, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and transsexual sexuality (youth and adult), coming out and disclosure, transgender and gender-non conformity including transition process, how to support a partner of someone GLBT, sexuality and faith/spirituality/religion, safer sex and harm reduction, comprehensive sexuality education, and questions from service providers working with LGBT individuals and families.

I'm currently a full time sexuality educator and facilitator specializing in sexual orientation and gender identity. I hold the positions of the Education Program Coordinator at the Rainbow Resource Centre (supporting LGBTTQ individuals, families and allies) as well as clinical sexologist at Four Rivers Medical Clinic in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. My roles include: sexuality education, counseling/therapy, media spokesperson and consultant. I have sat on several non-profit sexuality organizations as well as been a consultant to the World Health Organization/Pan American Health Organization as well as the Public Health Agency of Canada. For more information visit:

American Association of Sexuality Educators Counselors and Therapists, The Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, The American College of Sexologists, The Canadian AIDS Information Treatment Exchange, The Canadian Professional Association for Transgender Health, The Sexual Health Educator's Network (Manitoba), The International Society for Sexual Medicine.

Malone, R. (2010). "ShoutOut Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Transphobia and Heterosexism." Rainbow Resource Centre. Winnipeg, Canada. Malone, R. et al (2010). "Your Questions Answered. Gender Identity in Schools." Public Health Agency of Canada. Ottawa, Canada.

Undergradate degree in sociology - specialized focus on human sexuality Masters of Public Health (Sexology) Doctorate of Human Sexuality