Gay Life/Coming out to children

Question
My partner and I have been together for almost 6 yrs. We have two children, both boys, ages 3 and 7. Recently, I mentioned I feel we should talk to our oldest about us being gay. He knows we are in a relationship, knows we are girlfriends, but I'm not quite sure he understands what gay means exactly. How should we go about "coming out" to our child?

Answer
Hey there Nic

Apologies for taking so long to respond.

The ages between 6 and 10 is very critical in a child's growth.  It is in these years that they form a 'personality'.  I think it would be a good idea to teach your boy about relationships and different kinds of love (a girlfriend, a granny, a friend...), and it doesn't even have to be about being a gay couple even.  The basics should be fine.  You would be surprised as to how easy they pick up on what love is, and what it means!

It's always better to ask them to figure things out by themselves, with their own frame of reference, and to aid in this, you would ask guiding questions.  Something like this: You know we are girlfriends, right?  Do you know why we are? ... Yes, because we like to be together.  And do you know that we like each other so much, that we even love each other?  That is why we are called girlfriends.  Sometimes when two people love each other, they call each other girlfriend if you are a girl, and boyfriend if you are a boy! .... etc etc.. :-)

You don't have to share the nitty gritty about being gay, I think, but you should focus on the fact that two people can love each other no matter if they are boys or girls, or mixed boys and girls.

I would like to share with you this video I found a while ago on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz7_J2D3uw4

It shows you how kids can react to gay couples.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Adriaan

Gay Life

Adriaan Pretorius