Genealogy/Feuar records

Dear Charlotte,
An ancestor's gravestone at Millport on the Isle of Cumbrae says "Samuel Ford, Feuar Millport".(He died in 1836) I've been researching what "Feuar" might mean.
1. Have you come across this before and if yes,
2. do you know if there might be property records or “Feu” records still kept and where
3. who might the overlord of Greater Cumbrae have been between about 1830 and 1870 (I suspect that it was the Earl of Glasgow.)  
Here's what I know so far about Feuars:
A feuar is someone who holds a "feu" of property. They are not a tenant but pay a feu to the original owner of the land. The owner might have sold the land but kept the "superiority" and acts as an overlord. It can be possible that the property is passed down through inheritance by the feuar. It's derived from the Scottish Feudal system.
That's about it.
Looking forward to hearing from you. This is an amazing site and the advice offered is hugely appreciated.

I am sorry for the delay in replying. You are correct in what you say about a "Feuar". If there are any records for feuars I think that they will be kept in the records of Deeds of which there are several courts and they may also be found in estate papers.  

This is not my area of expertise and I would suggest that you contact Robert Fenwick on who should be able to give more advice.

Charlotte L. Cowe

As a professional Genealogist living in Scotland I can answer questions with regard to Scottish family history/research from about 1700 to the present day

I have been working professionally since 1986 and have access to the main archives for Scotland which are held in Edinburgh.

Organizations belong to
The Association of Professional Genealogists