Genealogy/UK Genealogical Records

Question
Hi Michael,

Is it true that UK genealogical records only go back 500 years?

Sincerely,
Angel

Answer
Hello,

It really depends on the source.  For the UK, most birth, marriage, death, and Census records only start in the early 1800's.  Before that, most records were kept by local parish churches.  When those Churches started keeping and maintaining written records, varies widely.  But finding much of anything other than records relating to aristocracy prior to the 1500's is highly unlikely.  Even where there were records, most pre-1500 era records were maintained by the Catholic Church.  Many of these records were destroyed when Henry VIII outlawed the Church, seized all Church Property (destroying much of it), and expelled the Catholic clergy from England.

- Mike

Genealogy

Michael Troy