Genealogy/UK Genealogical Records

Hi Charlotte,

Is it true that UK genealogical records only go back 500 years?

There is no definite answer to this. Records vary from country to country and I am only familiar with Scottish records. The earliest Parish records for Scotland which are indexed start around 1560. However these are few in number and most start around the mid 1700's with some not starting until the 1800's. There are lots of unindexed sources such as deeds, wills etc that go back probably to the 15th /16th centuries but a lot of them are written in Latin. Most Scottish documents prior to that were destroyed with the English invasions trying to conquer the country.  I cannot speak for English records but I do know that Irish records do not back very far.

I hope this helps. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

Charlotte L. Cowe

As a professional Genealogist living in Scotland I can answer questions with regard to Scottish family history/research from about 1700 to the present day

I have been working professionally since 1986 and have access to the main archives for Scotland which are held in Edinburgh.

Organizations belong to
The Association of Professional Genealogists