You are here:

Genealogy/Old photographs


I have an old wedding album dating back to the 40's. Are there any places that I can get it rebound and the photographs retouched. I live in Charleston SC
Carol B.

Hello Carol,

I wish that i could help more, but since I live in Scotland and you live in Charleston SC, then I am assuming that you will know what is available there better than I do.

I would search on Google for photographic restorers in your area. And also for book binders.  

I am assuming that these are most likely color photos, but what do you mean by 'retouching' ?  Slightly damaged, faded? These things can be dealt with, but do bear in mind that it can also be costly.   If you lived here, or I there, then I would be happy to take a look for you, but can do no more.

If you have any specific questions about the restoration do let me know, but I do know that there are experts on that subject on your side of the pond

Very best wishes



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Peter C. Amsden


Questions related to the archiving and preservation of images. From photographic to electronic.


I do have a reasonable knowledge of genealogy, being a member of the Society of Genealogist and of the Guild of One Name Studies. However, my real expertise lies in the area of archival preservation and the salvage of damaged photographs. I have made an in depth study of the subject. and my knowledge may be of particular value to those concerned with their personal archives. My knowledge extends from the photograph to film, video and computer imaging.

Associate of the Royal Photographic Society
Associate of the British Institute of Professional Photographers.

Author of "The Accidental Archivist" A guide to the selection & preservation of photographic & electronic images for personal archives. ISBN 978-0-9535019-8-4

Degree in Photo Science. Many years experience in the photographic, film and TV industries.

©2017 All rights reserved.