Genealogy/Finding my deceased fathers biological parents

Question
I'm curious to find my fathers original birth certificate. He's been deceased for 10 years along with his adoptive parents. I have no info on his biological family except, his birth mothers first name. I know he found her about 20 years ago, so I'm assuming his records have been unsealed. I live in the state of Ca, but believe he was born in Utah. Will that make it harder to get his records? Can I take his death certificate into the state records dept. to try and get his birth certificate? Any info on how or where to even begin the process would be extremely helpful.
Thanks!

Answer
The birth certificate will be in the county of his birth.  Even though he was adopted, it will be there.  If he may have been born in Utah, you'll need to know where the county seat is because that is where the record will be.  The birth certificate will not be sealed because it is a legal record and must be filed  (though hospital records may be sealed).  You'll need to know the birth parent's last name to find the record.  If hospital records are available, they should have his mother's full name.  The first task is to find her name, and then search the records.  Birth certificate are usually filed from the beginning of the county.   Once you find the record, the county clerk can make a copy.  If you need information on county seats in Utah, check THE HANDIBOOK FOR GENEALOGISTS.  You could get a copy from your local library or through inter-library loan.

Joel

Genealogy

Joel Bjorling