You are here:

Genealogy/How to go about finding records for this situation?


Okay, so I am currently in the middle of researching my family tree. I interviewed my mother to get information about any/all family information that she knows. She revealed to me that my second great grandfather was raised by the Fields(my family name), but was not born a Fields. From what she knows his last name was Elie(we don’t quite know the spelling). Apparently, he was orphaned really young. All of the documents that I find(death certificate/tomb stone/etc) show him as a Fields, because like mentioned he was raised from a young age. Since he is in the direct line of my ancestors, I want to find his biological parents. I don’t know how I would go about doing this, since he was not “legally” adopted.

If he was raised by the Fields family, he'd be listed with their family in a census.  However, a birth certificate should give his birth parents.  The birth certificate wouldn't have him as a Fields.  You might want to try different spellings of "Elie."



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel Bjorling


I can help people get started in genealogical research, where to find information, forms to use, and various resources. I have also worked with Swedish research. I live in central Illinois.


I am an independent researcher. I helped with research through our local genealogical society.

B.A. Behavioral Science; MTS,Theological Studies; courses in genealogy (paleography, Illinois, Iowa research, Swedish research) through Brigham Young Univrsity.

Past/Present Clients
"Finding Records of Closed and Defunct Churches" (article)

©2017 All rights reserved.