Genealogy/Genealogy q's regarding research and privacy protection of DNA.

QUESTION: Hi there I was born in what Māori named Aotearoa (The Land of the Long White Cloud) also named by James Cook as New Zealand (was named other names by Dutch Abel Tasman and a Dutch cartographer (don't know the name)).

I know that I am Māori, Spanish, Portuguese and Irish on my mothers side. My mothers Mum is full Māori and my mothers father is Māori as well as all the other ethnicities.

On my fathers side I am British, English and possibly other European ethnicities, I am also Scottish and Irish.

I've been interested in my fathers side of the Family which I do not know much about.
His mothers Maiden name was Iris Caldwell
His mothers family names:

His father is Murray Greensill

I would like to know how to start and work my way through in research to find links and what are the best valid and reliable research tools e.g. books, apps, websites, and methods e.g. databases for birth & death certificate etc with links to where to access the info e.g. website, locations of buildings, what specific words put into the search tab/field etc.

I have tried finding the origins of the family names and the family crests and coats (haven't looked at guilds etc) and find that there are different ones under the same name and I want to know how to find the one or more that are relevant to my family as some people will have the same family name e.g. Caldwell and not be related to the other person (with the same surname).

I have mentioned to Dad DNA testing through his paternal line to help us uncover links and more information however he wants to know advantages and disadvantages and there seems to be major disadvantages putting our privacy at risk which I am concerned about e.g. Insurance companies test a sample and find genetic defects which outline health conditions and use it against us. Even though I think it's great getting old cases solved I worry about false positives or that the tests come out not as reliable because there is different equipment used. I worry that the DNA may get genetically modified.
So I'm wondering how to protect our families privacy regarding DNA so that the information and DNA is not misused.
I understand I could request that immediately after testing the DNA is destroyed however how can a person be sure that the information won't get taken by others or copied and sent electronically etc?

Unfortunately in a way I am a female so I cannot do a paternity test if Dad agreed to it. Males are very lucky that they can trace both their maternal and paternal lines through their own DNA.

I'm a little confused as to how far back a single DNA can provide as I have read hundreds of years, yet another source mentions:

"Since Y-chromosome DNA is found only within the all-male patrilineal line and mtDNA only provides matches to the all-female matrilineal line, DNA testing is only applicable to lines going back through two of our eight great-grandparents - our father's paternal grandfather and our mother's maternal grandmother. If you want to use DNA to determine ancestry through any of your other six great-grandparents you will need to convince an aunt, uncle, or cousin who descends directly from that ancestor through an all-male or all-female line to provide a DNA sample".
So your clarification would be much appreciated.

Your wisdom would be much appreciated.
I hope to hear from you soon.

ANSWER: Hello - I have been working on getting you addition information on the DNA process.  This is not something I have expertise in.    It appears that you have done significant research on the subject.  

I am waiting for information and if I think it would be helpful to you. I will repost.  

All Experts is a great resource and hopefully you will be able to get resolution.

All the best.

Did you have any luck?

Hello  -
There are now autosomal DNA tests that test all of your ethnicity and ancestry.  There is no requirement to be male or female, and these tests can find relatives within the "genealogical time frame" of the past six or eight generations.  Three of the most popular and reputable tests are AncestryDNA, 23andMe, and FamilyTreeDNA.

You should check to see whether there are any restrictions on DNA testing in their country.  23andMe seems to be allowed throughout the world, so there may be no issue.

For privacy concerns, you can take a test and use any name or initials that you want.  They don't have to use their real names.

You shouldn't spend too much time looking into guilds and crests, as these are usually for noble families and are inherited through the oldest son.  You start with yourself and their parents and known relatives, working their way back through records such as birth, death, marriage, census records, deeds, etc.  I would suggest (FREE) and (MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED) as possible sources of information, and maybe look up a couple of New Zealand sources.

I do not see if you have already checked Ancestry or Family Search.  I also do not see dates, the time period you are researching.

Don't forget you can use Initials for the DNA testing you do not have to use your real name.

I would start with  You need to login but it is free.  

I hope this helps.

Nancy Janyszeski

I do genealogy research in Bucks County PA and maintain a website dedicated to the history and genealogy in Bucks County, one of the three original counties in Pennsylvania. Where William Penn settled and Washington Crossed the Delaware. Bucks County History and Genealogy

20 years as a family researcher and web page historian. Executive Board member of the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania,, Advisory Board member of the USGenWeb Project. State Coordinator for the Pennsylvania GenWeb, County Coordinator for PAGenWeb Bucks, Montgomery and Northampton County.

Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania, executive board USGenWeb project, Advisory Board, PA State Coordinator Haycock Historical Society, Executive Board

Student of Bucks County History and Bucks County Family History.