Genealogy/The Cone surnane in the and the wiregrass region mulatto family

Question
Rosa Lee Hill
Rosa Lee Hill  
Hello I am searching for possible Amerindian ancestry from an ancestor said to have been born on a reservation?
I know apearance is not always reliable when determining ancestry but I was wondering if anyone thought the photo of grandmother show any possible Native ancestry?
Does she look possibly part native ?

I have been using ancestry.comto find records on her parent Annie Smith & Johnnie Hill (of Thomasville Georgia)
I believe I have found her fathers possible parent John L Hill (Hilts)and Lettie(Nettie) Hill (of Thomasville Georgia).
I eventually find a record for a Nettie Cone - age 6 mulatto. The whole family if mulatto mother and father are both mulatto.

Nettie(Lettie) parents are from Virginia in one record and then another records says South Carolina.

Annie Smith(my grandmothers mother) parents are reportedly Lanie Smith and Perrie Smith (of Thomasville Georgia).

My father died when I was young so did not get to know alot about him or his family. He spoke to my mother about one of his grandmothers or great grandmothers being born on a Indian reservation and being extremely poor and only going to about the 3 grade or so. He didn't state which tribe or what exact place she came from he didn't say weather this was a paternal or maternal family member.

I have asked his half brother who claims that their fathers mother was supposedly part Amerindian but I can't find any proof of that.
My fathers half brothers cousin claimed she was Cherokee in which I take with a grain of salt since the Cherokee grandmother tale is quite common in the south.

possible Native American ancestry in the Carolinas area early 1800s with the surename Cone?
I got curious when I found two generations of mulatto families in Thomasville Georgia everyone in the house is listed as mulatto but later census black.

Johnnie Hill - Birth 1889 - location , Thomasville THOMAS County Georgia.
John L Hilts (Hill) & Nettie Cone are his parents- Thomasville Georgia
Nettie Cone (race: Mulatto) born 1867 in Georgia both are her parent are from South Carolina.
Lizzie Cone (race: mulatto) born 1838 in South Carolina.Lizzie is the mother of Nettie - Lettie - Bettie
Ephrim Cone (race: mulatto) born 1835 in South Carolina. He is the father of Nettie.

Ephrim mother is is Tabitha (Tabby)Cone she is in one record born in South Carolina and in another record born in North Carolina in 1810.
Tabby is mulatto and then black .

Does anyone know of any European surnames in the Carolinas ascosiated with American Indian groups
Like the Lumbee, Catawba,Saponi, and Cherokee.

I had a genetic report done called Prometheus and it stated that I had rate gene associated with Native American Myopathy.

Is the cone surname related to any Indian groups in the Carolinas.

I found a person on geneweb with a similar plight , their Cone family are all mulatto from the Carolinas also but they had rumors of Cherokee heritage but the person said they personally thought they were Hawali Saponi instead

Answer
In my opinion she has SOME resemblance to a "high cheeked" INDIAN. That's surely a NOVCIE opinion-though.

I've met a few LUMBEE, while living in Fayetteville, NC.  They were still on their "own" reservation in the early 70's, with the exception of those who married out of their tribe.

The head of the social workers who handled INDIAN affairs there during the 80's was my Grand-Aunt's daughter-in-law-Val BISSETT.  I'd be pretty sure they have a lot of valuable info the Department of Social Services which used to be located in Fayetteville, NC- I'd write them or call.

I guess you know the original LOST COLONY was said to have been taken by the LUMBEE and integrated with them.  Myself I have seen a LUMBEE with very BLUE EYES, obviously a product of White/ENGLISH mix in the late 60's and early 70's there.

If you don't mind I'll do some research of part of your question on that "surname" this morning or later to day.  I would go to www.rootsweb.com and there post this question DIRECTLY to the various INDIAN tribes you mention as they can gather up much more specific records regarding themselves than I can.

I'll check and see what I can find and get back to you- if you don't mind.

I realize you probably already have this but here is some also at www.ancestry.com

Suggested Records
These records may also be relevant to Nettie Cone:

Nettie Cone
1870 United States Federal Census
Hettie C*Ey
1900 United States Federal Census
Nettie Coney
1940 United States Federal Census
Nettie Hills
1910 United States Federal Census
Nettie J Hill
New York, State Census, 1915
Nettie Hills
1920 United States Federal Census
Lettie Hill
1900 United States Federal Census

1880 United States Federal Census about Nettie Cone
Name: Nettie Cone
Age: 16
Birth Year: abt 1864
Birthplace: Georgia
Home in 1880: Thomasville, Thomas, Georgia
Race: Black
Gender: Female
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Eph. Cone
Father's Birthplace: Georgia
Mother's name: Lizzie Cone
Mother's Birthplace: Georgia
Neighbors: View others on page
Occupation: Servant
Cannot read/write:

Blind:

Deaf and Dumb:

Otherwise disabled:

Idiotic or insane: View image
Household Members: Name Age
Eph. Cone 60
Lizzie Cone 40
Susan Cone 20
Nettie Cone 16
Mattie Cone 12
Sallie Cone 9
Samuel Cone 5
Suggested Records

Nettie Cone

1870 United States Federal Census
Hettie C*Ey

1900 United States Federal Census
Nettie Coney

1940 United States Federal Census
Nettie Hills

1910 United States Federal Census
Nettie J Hill

New York, State Census, 1915
Nettie Hills

1920 United States Federal Census
Lettie Hill

1900 United States Federal Census

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank  

Also, you might try this
http://www.ancestry.com/cs/us/family-tree?s_kwcid=thomasville+genealogy&hl=Disco

Genealogy

L. Handiboe