You are here:

Genealogy/Biological Research


Hello Joel. I was placed for adoption at 8 months old. I am now 44, but located my maternal relatives in 2005. My biological mother was deceased in 2003, so there still remains unanswered questions pertaining to my paternal family. I petitioned the court and was able to get my records released, but my mother never named my father, but gave a physical description of him and left other clues as well. Throughout my discussions with her family and husband, I was told that my mom worked for my dad and that he was wealthy, but she later found out he was married. My mother was his maid. His wife lived in a different state. After my mom told him she was pregnant with me, he didn't want anything else to do with her. I reached out to the step grandson of my "alleged" father back in 2007. I told him who I was and he asked me to send my information.  I never heard back from him. He was about 13 years old when I was born. Now my "alleged" father is deceased and so is his wife. They never had children together. I guess my question is: "How can I find a blood relative of my alleged dad, and could DNA testing prove that he was indeed my father, by using a relatives DNA sample?

All I can say is that a birth certificate should normally have the name of the father and mother.  Whether or not a father's name could be suppressed (if he was married to someone else), I can't say.  It seems that what you have is hear-say information, much of it gained from conversations.  I don't know how you could find a blood relative of your dad without knowing for sure who he was.  I don't know about DNA, but it'd seem that you'd need something of his (like hair) to compare and maybe get a match.  Since he is dead, you'd almost have to exhume the body, but you couldn't do that without verifying a blood relationship.  If he was wealthy and had a wife elsewhere, maybe he didn't want to be found.  You'd be an heir to his wealth (assuming a blood relationship). It would seem that a birth record should name both father and mother and it'd be public record.  Even wealth should not excuse a person from a legal document.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel Bjorling


I can help people get started in genealogical research, where to find information, forms to use, and various resources. I have also worked with Swedish research. I live in central Illinois.


I am an independent researcher. I helped with research through our local genealogical society.

B.A. Behavioral Science; MTS,Theological Studies; courses in genealogy (paleography, Illinois, Iowa research, Swedish research) through Brigham Young Univrsity.

Past/Present Clients
"Finding Records of Closed and Defunct Churches" (article)

©2017 All rights reserved.