General Dating Questions/Going back to an Ex

Question
Hi, I am 16 years old. I was with this girl for 3 and a half months, which isn't long. In this time, she cheated a few times with her ex (kissing, saying I love you, sex). I had known but she always felt bad after and I thought it would get better. She ended the relationship because she didn't trust me. Now, 10 months later, we are thinking of getting back together. But I'm sorta afraid. I'm scared the same things will happen, and I'll end up heartbroken again. Through these months, we stayed friends and continued to flirt. I really am confused, because no matter what happens, something always makes me forgive her, and makes me go back to her. What should I do? Should I trust her again, and if anything happens again, leave? Thank you.

Answer
Hi Gage,

As much as I would like to say that a leopard can change it's spots, from what you've told me, maybe it would be wise to leave that break a little longer.

As she cheated on you various times in 3 months, who's to say it won't happen again? The trouble is, in 10 months, how do you know she wasn't equally talking to other people in the same way? Also, some people see forgiveness as a sign of weakness when it comes to cheating, so maybe she thinks she could cheat again and you'd just forgive her. There's a good quote, 'when the past comes calling, don't answer - it has nothing new to say.' Sometimes going backwards is a circle in itself which traps you into the same outcome (as Albert Einstein once said: 'insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.') Don't get trapped going backwards if you're only going to forgive but getting hurt each time in return.

She needs to prove to you first that you can trust her, if not, then maybe it's best not to entertain the idea.

However, the decision is yours.

All the best!

Karen

General Dating Questions

Karen