General Dating Questions/Boyfriend Insecurities

Question

I have been with my boyfriend for about 9 months. Most of the time everything is perfect, all of the time when we are together in the same place. However, I am extremely insecure and anxious about our relationship and it has caused me to snoop. I went through his text messages after we spent about a week apart due to work. When we are not together I am extremely stressed about whether everything is okay, is he thinking about me, etc. (he always reassures me, even if I don't hear from him everyday).

However, in his phone I found an extremely long text conversation between him and his ex. They broke up about a year and 6 months ago but she is still very much in love with him. He has reassured me that he's over her but they were friends for a long time before they dated (for 4 years) and he finds it hard to cut her out of his life. When we got into a huge fight about it he decided to stop speaking to her for both of our sakes, as he realized she was still hung up on him and I was upset about them speaking to each other. However, even though he told me this a few months ago, I found this text conversation.

In it she was going on and on about how she missed him, reminiscing about their relationship. He wasn't responding in a super flirty way but he was being nice, a lot of I knows, etc. that only encouraged her.

I know I shouldn't have snooped, but it has made my already extreme insecurities even worse. He notices when I am insecure and tries to reassure me as much as he can even when I don't tell him what is bothering me. I know I can't talk to him about it, but I don't know if I can let it go. It's driving me crazy that they are still talking and carrying on those types of conversations when he's with me, but I can't bring it up, because it might do even more damage. I've definitely learned  my lesson about snooping and won't do it again but I'm worried that I will drive him away because I feel myself closing off to him since I feel like the other shoe will drop and the relationship might end because of their past relationship.

How can I get past what I read, and my insecurities over all before I sabotage our relationship? He's my first serious boyfriend in about 5 years and I really do love him and want our relationship to work.

Denisse

Answer
Yes, snooping is bad as is obsessing over your relationship this much. However I can see how his continuing to talk to an ex he has that much history with would make you nervous. However trying to impose rules on someone is also counter-productive. He tried to appease you before by telling you what you wanted to hear, but obviously he did not want to do this. You can't try to control someone like this without coming across as being controlling or insecure. Rather you need to consider that the only way you can voluntarily have someone not talk to another is because they don't want to. The best way to do this is to continue to become your best self and make the relationship a positive happy one with continued personal growth.

If it makes you feel any more secure, realize that he is with you now and not with her and there must be a reason for this that you are better. The only thing that can bring you the security you seek is your own self-assurance, you are good. Even if you sometimes doubt this, acting as if you know you are great will help reinforce this belief as it becomes more solid and will draw more positive circumstances and events to you. Not only will this give you more peace of mind in general it will also make you more attractive to your current boyfriend and give you the assurance that if this relationship with this person isn't what is best for you then you can find someone who is.

Another good question to consider: if you weren't being insecure or worried about sabotaging the relationship, what positive things would you be thinking about and doing for yourself and with another person? If you focus on positive constructive thoughts and actions you will not leave any room for the negative aspects to occur.  

General Dating Questions

Michael Hurst