General Dating Questions/who buys the contraception?

Question
Hi dr Neder

Just a stupid question:

If a man states that he wanted to have sex, who should provide the contraception - him or the woman?

And vice versa

If a man said that he wanted to have sex, but he never kept condoms on hand, and expected the woman to have the condoms or be on the pill, is this man irresponsible or just free spirited?

Does a woman need to have the pill on hand 'just in case' the man wanted sex on a casual basis?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this

Answer
Hello!

There's nothing stupid about this question. In fact, it's a great one.

The answer is: BOTH people are responsible for contraception. I tell guys AND girls to always have condoms on their person or readily available for instance. It doesn't matter who initiates sex like it does with who initiates a date.

If a man initiates sex but doesn't have condoms (and she's not on birth control) then you need to have them with you. If you initiate sex, just assume you're using your own as well.

The point here isn't about just being polite. It's about real health issues - and possible pregnancy is one of them.

As to the pill, I believe you're talking about "Plan B One-Step" or what's called "the morning after pill". While I think it's a good idea to have it available but it can be purchased over-the-counter if you need it.

Here's the bottom line: if a person is sexually active, it's their own, personal responsibility to protect themselves AND their partners. If both people aren't doing this, there's going to be trouble. I personally never leave that responsibility to someone else and neither should you.

Best regards...

Dr. Dennis W. Neder
CEO/Executive Producer
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
BAM! Productions
Remington Publications
818.334.8826
http://beingaman.com
Producers: "BAM! TV" and “Love and Sex”
Publishers: "Being a Man in a Woman's World I, II & III”

General Dating Questions

Dr. Dennis W. Neder