General Dating Questions/Contrarty conversaton

Question
Why will someone say the opposite of what you just stated.
ie: I say, looks like we may get rain tonight.
he says: oh maybe just a drop, no big deal.
I say: I don't like to drive at night, I like to see other people on the road during the day.
He say: night driving is the best, no distraction.
I say: my work schedule is ......
He says: it is what it is.

I am not sure why he does this. Is he trivializing what I say, or is it a controlling issue?
And why would someone do that to an other person?
Thank You

Answer
Hello (again) Christine!

No, he's likely not trying to trivialize what you say or control you.

In fact, there are many reasons why a person might do this and in order to know specifically why you'd need to know the context in which the statement is made.

Interestingly, this is one technique that some people actually use to get CLOSER to someone else. No, I'm not kidding. These people don't see that they're being contrary at all. They see themselves as opening up and telling you about how they think - even if it's different from you.

There are other people who are "negators". These people naturally speak in "negation" - being the opposite of what others say. They don't do this out of contempt at all. They do it because it is most comfortable for them.

There are still other cases where someone is trying to distance themselves from you. They say the opposite (and may honestly feel that way) trying to create an emotional, intellectual or spiritual separation. The issue here however isn't even the separation, it's WHY they are trying to separate. It might be that they have lost interest in you or in the conversation. It might be that they feel insecure and are deflecting. It might be that they are trying to redirect the conversation to something else, etc. There are 1001 different reasons why a person does this.

You can't take a few isolated sentences said by someone (out of the millions of words used in the course of knowing that person) and try to ascribe meaning. Further, words themselves aren't important. What *IS* important are actions.

Best regards...

Dr. Dennis W. Neder
CEO/Executive Producer
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
BAM! Productions
Remington Publications
323.638.4145
http://beingaman.com
Producers: "BAM! TV" and “Love and Sex”
Publishers: "Being a Man in a Woman's World I, II & III”

General Dating Questions

Dr. Dennis W. Neder