General Dating Questions/cannot tell difference between being friendly and being flirty

Question
Hi. I hope you can help. I am an adult and to be honest, haven't had very many relationships. I have always been pretty anxious and shy and especially this is true around men I like. I also don't have a lot of self-confidence sometimes. I have a very hard time reading this guy whom I work with. We work in different departments so we don't have a lot of opportunities to talk at length or even briefly. He is pretty busy most of the time at work, as am I. I like him, and he may like me, but I cannot tell if he is flirting or just being friendly. This is what has happened so far: I was coming back from the restroom and as soon as I passed his area and he saw me, which was about 15-20 feet away, he said hi, waved, and smiled really big. Yes, we know each other's names and HAVE talked before, just not very often or in-depth. This same night, a couple of hours later, he was buying milkshakes for the remainder of us that were still at work. When he came up to me and asked me if I wanted a shake, he couldn't look me in the eye or even look at me and seemed nervous. No one else was around us. What does this mean? Friendly or flirting? With both of these examples. A few days later after this, I wrote a note to him telling him how I felt and asked him out and put my phone number in it, but I put this inside of a party invitation. Because I'm so, so shy about asking him out, mainly because I don't know if he truly likes me or not.  I told him I was having a get together and gave it to him as he was leaving for the day. His face did kind of light up and he was smiling. But I have no idea if he has even opened this card or not. It's been several days. I have only seen him a couple times since I gave him the card. Both times he waved and said bye but he was talking on his cell phone. So I had no chance to stop him and talk to him. Another co-worker of ours who is married told me that he is definitely shy around women. What are your thoughts and opinions on these actions?  I am going to muster up all my courage-I told you I am so shy- and go over to his area next time we are on the same shift and tell him that I would like to talk to him when he leaves for the night. Or maybe I will ask him, if he's not busy, if he has opened the "invitation" yet. He is a pharmacist, so he is usually at least somewhat busy. But I am going crazy right now wondering!!!!  Please tell me what you think. Thank you!!

Answer
Shy people like yourself, him, and even me tend to give awkward messages to other people and it is far from easy to determine what a shy person wants. Even sometimes when the directly ask for it, but do so without an inflection of confidence. I say talking in person is always the best way to go to writing notes. I myself have been called out on writing girl's notes well into adulthood and in general it is just better to make face time with people. If you like him you should make it clear to him that the most intimate communication you'll have with him will not be reduced to words on paper. Just be direct and asking if he might like to go somewhere sometime. Strike while he's single. I've had many crushes in my life and most of them are married or got pregnant. lol. Just don't worry so much about failer. It happens and we move on and learn, and the bigger the failer the more we learn so there is no downside to taking chances that don't involve live amo. lol. Good luck.

General Dating Questions

James