General Dating Questions/ideas for first date other than dinner and movie

Hi. I am in my thirties but have not dated in a very long time. I've always had problems with my self-confidence and I'm sure this is why it's been a long time. I am interested in someone I met several years ago and I believe he is as well. He asked a mutual friend about me a couple of weeks ago, but she didn't know my relationship status, so he found me on facebook and sent a poke. We haven't talked to each other in a long time or seen each other. We always had an interest in each other when we worked at the same company, but I never had the guts to talk to him for more than a few minutes, let alone ask him out!!  Now, I feel like I don't want to miss another opportunity with him and this could be our last chance-who knows?!  So my question is:  I am very, very, very nervous about going on the first few dates with him, if in fact we do.  Especially the very first one of course. I'm going to be so incredibly shy and nervous and don't really want to do the dinner and movie date. I feel like dinner or any kind of meal is way too much pressure and I want to feel as relaxed as possible and need some ideas as to what to do for these first few dates! I was thinking bowling would be fun and wouldn't be very nerve-wracking. By the way, he is a fairly shy guy as well. Not as shy as I am but still definitely shy-I do know that about him from talking to him previously and from what his friends have told me.  I just don't want to go to dinner right away!  Please give me some ideas for what we could do to get to know each other without there being so much pressure on us.  Also, I am not athletic at all, so no athletics, please!   Other than that, I am open to reasonable suggestions. If you could suggest several ideas that would be appreciated!  Thank you!  (We live in a small to medium size city-about 150,000.) We don't have major sports teams or big-name performers here.

Hello, Holley. The best way to start is a good old coffee and perhaps a walk and a nice area/park.
It's important that you don't treat it as matter of life and death as that will only make things harder on both of you. Instead, have a normal conversation. Break the ice with talking about the times when you worked together and perhaps laughing at something and then go from there.
You don't have to try to sweep him off his feet during the first hour of you talking to each other and he shouldn't try to do that either.

For more first date tips, please read this:

General Dating Questions

Whether you are a man or a woman facing a challenge or an issue at any stage of your dating life or romantic interaction / relationship with your partner, I can provide you with specific, practical, and effective advice on the steps you can take to successfully deal with those challenges and build a dramatically better romantic life. Also, if any of the topics below are of a particular interest or concern to you - do not hesitate to contact me: Approaching and attracting people. Where and how to meet people. Buggest turn-ons and turn-offs for both sexes. Signs of attraction and lack of attraction early on and later in a relationship. Communication skills for creating attraction, effective flirting. Ideas for first date and subsequent dates. Self-esteem, confidence, fear of rejection, body language. Sexual and physical escalation. Dealing with break-ups / rejections. Preventing and dealing with problems in long-term relationships. I provide non-mainstream, unique, and proven to be effective advice that will shed light of truth and clear many of the common misconceptions about what makes a relationship work and what common challenges defeat relationships at any stage. To find out more about me go to

Sold over 50 audio programs on various dating issues ( I have come all the way from being single and not being able to meet women to having a wonderful girlfriend for over 3 and a half years after having an abundant dating experience prior to meeting her. I helped many of my male and female friends to literally transform their dating life through specific and practical advice after they experienced for themselves how useless the typical, popular advice is.

BA in Philosophy and JD.