General Dating Questions/Telling the ex I've moved on

Question
My ex and I were together for 3 years. We dated in college have all the same friends. We broke up about 8 months ago because he said he wanted more experience. I'm finally starting to date again, and I'm becoming really attached to this new guy. I've found out that  my ex has been asking our mutual friends about me, and a few of them suspect he wants to get back together. They say he wants their permission to call me, and he's already sent me a few friendly texts recently (the first in 7 months). I have no interest in this and really want to move forward with this new guy. My question is: do I owe my ex a phone call if the new guy and I make things official? I feel like I do because I don't want to put the burden on my friends to break the news to him. However I don't want to seem like I'm smug about it. Your thoughts? Thanks!

Answer
I think after 7 months of no talking you aren't obligated to talk to him at all whether or not you're "officially" dating someone else or not. But if only to help your friends from having to bring him up to speed on what isn't his business to begin with, sure.

General Dating Questions

James