General Dating Questions/Converting to Morminism for a girl

Question
I was dating a LDS girl for about 2 years when she recently broke up with me because I am not Mormon. I am currently a Christian but I am not really a religious man and don't practice it that often. When we were dating I attended church and met with the missionary's to try and see if Morminism was right for me and I found out that it is not the best fit. I still love this girl very much and want to be with her the rest of my life but the only thing getting in the way Is me not being Mormon. What do I do?

Answer
Hello Andy!

First of all, I don't believe this was the only reason she dumped you. I'm not blaming you for anything specific; I'm just saying that this isn't likely to be the only reason. It's only one that is very difficult to defend, and thus, is an easy-out for her.

With that in mind; changing your "surface religion" isn't going to impress her very much especially if she's really committed to her beliefs. It's not in the label; it's in the contents here.

In other words, simply becoming Mormon doesn't MAKE you Mormon any more than claiming you're Italian (if you're not) makes you Italian.

Further, a belief system is a pretty deep-seated, important thing to a person. For you, it doesn't mean much by itself - you don't put a lot of importance on it. She apparently does. Just changing your "designation" shows a further lack of commitment to your current belief system - or lack of it.

So, in short, don't go chasing a label to try to impress anyone. If she can't see your value as you already are, the problem - and the loss - are with her, not you. Your job should be to find someone else who appreciates what you DO bring to the table. That woman will be amazing and you deserve to find her. This one; not so much.

Regards...

Dr. Dennis W. Neder
CEO/Executive Producer
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
BAM! Productions
Remington Publications
323.638.4145
http://beingaman.com
Producers: "BAM! TV" and “Love and Sex”
Publishers: "Being a Man in a Woman's World I, II & III”

General Dating Questions

Dr. Dennis W. Neder