General HTML/Web Design Programming Q`s/inserting images

I downloaded an image from flickr which is 2800 X 2100 but when I upload and put it on my website it appears small (about 500 wide). I tried changing the width attribute but it can only become smaller not bigger. My page width is about 800 and the image is no where near that size. Why? Below it the link to the image.

Al, there are so many variables here - I am assuming that whatever you are using to upload the image to your website is resizing it for the web or the location you are uploading to has a maximum photo size.  I believe the following is a good explanation.

Different social networking and photo sharing websites have different specifications on the maximum photo size you can upload. Some websites allow you to upload photos up to 10MB in size, while others may allow you to upload up to 15 or 20MB. Flickr, for example, allows you to upload images less than 10MB on a free account and up to 20MB if you have a paid subscription. Photo size is associated with pixel size. An image with a ratio of 1024 pixels will generate a larger file size compared to a photo with 75 pixels. While some websites may accept large photos and compress them to standard sizes, others require you to resize the photo before uploading.

Read more :

General HTML/Web Design Programming Q`s

Nancy Janyszeski

I can help with basic HTML questions and web development concepts. I do not write JavaScript, but can help with the concept of using and where to find it.

Experience in the area.I am Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Master Certified and was certified as a MOUS Authorized Instructor. Instructional design and test writer for Skills Advantage LLC,, Test Publisher and E-learning Solutions Provider

Courseware, intro and advanced HTML

Microsoft MOUS certified, ICDL certified

Vocational Schools