General HTML/Web Design Programming Q`s/Programming & Bandwidth

Question
Hi Nancy,

I hope you can help.

I didn't see the exact category so here goes.

We are a group of authors looking to create a membership website. We would like authors to list their books, audios, ebooks and music.

Can you recommend what we need to realize the capabilities of huge bandwidth?

Thank you for any advice...

David Shenkman

Answer
David, bandwidth is what  you are willing to pay for and what is actually available in your area.  I live in rural PA and I do not have access to serious high speed but you may.  

However, it doesn't really matter what you have and you can't control what visitors to your site have available to them.

The one area you might check is ... sometimes the internet connection is faster to download then to upload.  So whoever is creating and publishing this site would want a fast upload to get the large files to the server.  Once there, speed is not your problem.

You would want a host who does not have a limit on capacity.  Some small local host providers may not offer the storage capacity on their servers that you will need to many large files, but you can check.

Even if you don't use someone like GoDaddy you would want to check their site for specific information as a basis for discussion elsewhere

All the best

Nancy

General HTML/Web Design Programming Q`s

Nancy Janyszeski