General History/American Revolution

Question
How did leader and propagandists of the American Revolution use the metaphor of slavery and race to describe the relationship of the American colonist to the British crown?how did the famous British writer, Samuel Johnson,respond to these comparisons to slavery, and the "yelps for liberty" of the leaders of the Revolution?

Answer
Revolutionary leaders accused the British of treating colonists as slaves by taking away their fundamental rights as free men.  There are many metaphors in writings about the colonies being put in chains.  Johnson made his famous comments about the colonists' demands by pointing out that they were not giving liberty to their own slaves: "How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?"

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

General History

Michael Troy