General History/slavery

In what ways was the experience of urban slaves in South Carolina, especially that of Charleston's urban slaves, different from that of rural slaves in that colony?How were South Carolina's urban slaves culturally different, if at all, from rural slaves?What occupations were Charleston's urban slaves likely to be found in?Which of these, if any did male and female dominate

Hi Chris,
I can't speak specifically to South Carolina or to urban vs rural, but I have read of the differences between house slaves and field slaves on southern plantations. To be a house slave was seen as preferable by both house and field slaves. House work was less physically demanding and more intellectually stimulating. House slaves worked more closely with their masters and were therefore more closely supervised, but they also had more opportunities to extract favors from their owners. House slaves did work done by domestic servants today: cooking, cleaning, gardening/lawn work, home repairs, tending the master's children, etc. A little farther out from the house, like tending the master's horses in the stable, might also be considered house work rather than field work.

House slaves were probably similar to urban slaves in that they lived and worked closely with whites and probably absorbed more European culture. House/urban slaves probably spoke with less of an accent or slang than field slaves. They probably dressed better than field workers. They probably ate better, too. It was probably common for white masters to develop some degree of fondness or affection for those slaves who served them closely and well, and this resulted in better care and maintenance of house and urban slaves. Field slaves were less often seen by or spoken to by their masters, and this meant that the master developed less feeling or affection for the field workers.

Hope this helps,   C.M.

General History

C.M. Aaron

My interests are pretty diverse: military history, technology, and social trends for most historical eras, general U.S. history, European history, especially Roman and early medieval history but also the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, European colonialism in Africa, a little bit of Asian history, especially as it relates to European and American imperialism. I'm also pretty good with presidential history.

I've read hundreds of history books on various subjects. I've also been writing historical fiction for about twenty years. Story development drives my research. I am also a tour guide at a local museum.

Bachelor's degree in history and geography.