General History/Spanish presence in Florida

Why was the Spanish presence in Florida, and especially at St. Augustine, so threatening to the plantation colonies of British north America immediately to the north?

Hi Nazariy,
During the 1600 and 1700's England and Spain were often at war with each other. Florida and St. Augustine were bases for Spanish ships to attack the American coast. The plantation colonies were highly dependent on imports and exports. Spanish ships based out of Florida could attack English trade vessels.

I'm not sure if it was true in the 1600's and 1700's, but later, in the early 1800's, Spanish Florida was a safe haven where runaway American slaves could escape to and not be pursued by their American owners.

Hope this helps,   C.M.  

General History

C.M. Aaron

My interests are pretty diverse: military history, technology, and social trends for most historical eras, general U.S. history, European history, especially Roman and early medieval history but also the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, European colonialism in Africa, a little bit of Asian history, especially as it relates to European and American imperialism. I'm also pretty good with presidential history.

I've read hundreds of history books on various subjects. I've also been writing historical fiction for about twenty years. Story development drives my research. I am also a tour guide at a local museum.

Bachelor's degree in history and geography.