General History/black freedom

Who were Paul Cuffee and James Forteb?What was their program for black freedom and progress?What was the thinking of most African Americans to this program?

Hi Kyle,

Paul Cuffee was a black Quaker from New England.  He was a ship captain by trade.  He worked on a project to colonize freed blacks back in Africa (Sierra Leone).  Cuffee eventually transported 38 people to Africa, but could not get continued support for his program.

James Forten, a free black businessman in Pennsylvania, originally supported Cuffee's colonization plan, but later became a strong opponent of Colonization.   Like many African Americans, he came to understand that these people who had grown up in America could not easily adapt to life in Africa.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

General History

Michael Troy

My specialties are 17th through 19th Century history, especially in the Americas and Europe. I also have a fair knowledge of ancient Greek and Roman History, and some knowledge of Medieval European history. My expertise is focuses on Military and political history, but I`ll take a crack at anything.

I have been a guest lecturer at George Washington University. Mostly, I have just read hundreds of books about world history.

J.D. Univ. of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar