General History/first black town

What was the first black town in north america that was founded in 1739?Where was it founded and by who?Who was its leader?what is its relevance to the resistance of black slaves in South America and Georgia..

One if the earliest known black communities was Fort Mose, in what is today Florida, just north of St. Augustine.  At the time, the area was controlled by Spain.  Black slaves escaping from Georgia and the Carolinas founded the community and many more followed.  Spain offered freedom to any slave who escaped to its territory.  

English colonists attacked the community in 1740. The invaders were forced out, though at great cost.  Most survivors moved to St. Augustine unitil 1752 when Fort Mose was resettled.  The community remained a haven for escaping slaves, until the US acquired Florida in the early 1800s.

I hope this helps!
- Mike

General History

Michael Troy

My specialties are 17th through 19th Century history, especially in the Americas and Europe. I also have a fair knowledge of ancient Greek and Roman History, and some knowledge of Medieval European history. My expertise is focuses on Military and political history, but I`ll take a crack at anything.

I have been a guest lecturer at George Washington University. Mostly, I have just read hundreds of books about world history.

J.D. Univ. of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar