General History/explaining a quote

Can you please explain/describe to me exactly what this quote means: "If you don't like the past, change it" - by William L. Burton
and who's exactly the "William L. Burton" who wrote this quote?
because there are many with the same name, so I couldn't figure who is he !
With all due respect, I really need a full explanation of the quote as soon as possible for my presentation tomorrow !
Thank you.

Hi Afra,
I also googled William L. Burton and came up with several results. The most likely is the historian who wrote "Melting Pot Soldiers" in 1987.

"If you don't like the past, change it" probably refers to the tendency of people to believe what they wish to believe. It could also be an encouragement to other historians to research and find proof that current interpretations of the past are wrong and to publish a revisionist work with the truth.

Good luck with your presentation.

General History

C.M. Aaron

My interests are pretty diverse: military history, technology, and social trends for most historical eras, general U.S. history, European history, especially Roman and early medieval history but also the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, European colonialism in Africa, a little bit of Asian history, especially as it relates to European and American imperialism. I'm also pretty good with presidential history.

I've read hundreds of history books on various subjects. I've also been writing historical fiction for about twenty years. Story development drives my research. I am also a tour guide at a local museum.

Bachelor's degree in history and geography.