General History/History Thesis on the Anglophone world

Trade is what started the creation and expansion of the English-speaking world. The more the English traded, the closer they got to their trading partners, exchanging products eventually turned into new development, settlers and freedom which in the end inspired to democratic government and finally into being a part of a self-established nation.
One could argue that it was envy, pride and curiosity that led the English into the trading-race alongside Spain, Netherlands and Portugal. But while the English traded with exotic products they subconsciously also encountered multiple different cultures that may have affected them into viewing the world in a different kind of light, one that could bring out ideas about independence and a free country. Rather than the actual trading being a reason to create the English-speaking world, itís the events that followed alongside the trading that created the ideas to a nation or a democratic government. Part of these occasions is for instance the slave trading. This evoked ideas about the manís freedom and united and/or disbanded big parts of the settlers as well as the Englishmen in England.

I guess there's a question here, Leesa. Please read:

After the Anglo-Saxon invasion, the Germanic language possibly displaced the indigenous Brythonic languages and Latin in most of the areas of Great Britain that later became England. The original Celtic languages remained in parts of Scotland, Wales and Cornwall (where Cornish was spoken into the 19th century), although large numbers of compound Celtic-Germanic placenames survive, hinting at early language mixing. Latin also remained in these areas as the language of the Celtic Church and of higher education for the nobility. Latin was later to be reintroduced to England by missionaries from both the Celtic and Roman churches, and it would, in time, have a major impact on English. What is now called Old English emerged over time out of the many dialects and languages of the colonising tribes. Even then, Old English continued to exhibit local variation, the remnants of which continue to be found in dialects of Modern English. The most famous surviving work from the Old English period is the epic poem Beowulf composed by an unknown poet.

Old English varied widely from modern Standard English. Native English speakers today would find Old English unintelligible without studying it as a separate language. Nevertheless, English remains a Germanic language, and approximately half of the most commonly used words in Modern English have Old English roots. The words be, strong and water, for example, derive from Old English. Many non-standard dialects such as Scots and Northumbrian English have retained features of Old English in vocabulary and pronunciation. Old English was spoken until some time in the 12th or 13th century.

In the tenth and eleventh centuries, Old English was strongly influenced by the North Germanic language Old Norse, spoken by the Norsemen who invaded and settled mainly in the North East of England. The Anglo-Saxons and the Scandinavians spoke related languages from different branches of the Germanic family; many of their lexical roots were the same or similar, although their grammars were more divergent.

The Germanic language of the Old English-speaking inhabitants was influenced by extensive contact with Norse colonizers, resulting perhaps in cases of morphological simplification of Old English, including the loss of grammatical gender and explicitly marked case (with the notable exception of the pronouns). English borrowed approximately two thousand lexical items from Old Norse, including anger, bag, both, hit, law, leg, same, skill, sky, take, and many others.

*Old English. Then English. Then England. Then America.

Take care, my friend, and stay SAFE!

General History

Hank Hokamp

American History in general. History has been a hobby of mine for umpteen years. Colonial History is what I like the best! I seem to have this "savior complex" due to which I seem to be automatically attracted to people who need my help on a daily basis. Since we are the only critters on the planet, how about joining me? Pleasure and satisfaction are your rewards.

Experience (No longer in operation!) and My education (below). Over 9 years on AllExperts.

U. of Illinois Westminster College U. of Arkansas (Graduated with a BSJ in Journalism) Southern Career Institute - Paralegal Certificate