General History/Boston Tea Party-related to fear

Hello, I am working on a project at school (individual) and I was asked to find a historian who can help me with relating a historic event to "fear." I chose the Boston Tea Party because I myself made a few connections relating it to "fear" and how the people reacted to it. My question for you is how do you think that the boston tea party affected the people and the government, and how did it make them fearful?

Hi Haley,

The Boston Tea Party was essentially an act of mob violence.  A group of private citizens trespassed on a ship and destroyed private property.  Many Colonists feared a break down of society and that everyone's private property could be at risk, as well as personal safety as mob actions succeeded.  Similarly the British Government feared that respect for law and order had been lost and that citizens were directly challenging government authority.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

General History

Michael Troy

My specialties are 17th through 19th Century history, especially in the Americas and Europe. I also have a fair knowledge of ancient Greek and Roman History, and some knowledge of Medieval European history. My expertise is focuses on Military and political history, but I`ll take a crack at anything.

I have been a guest lecturer at George Washington University. Mostly, I have just read hundreds of books about world history.

J.D. Univ. of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar