General History/Candlelight Vigil

Question
I googled, and wikipedia.org has a page with simple explanation. But all too simple.
I really wanted to know:
THE ORIGIN,
THE MEANING OF CANDLE LIGHT, WHY A CANDLE?
and is it the same as "CARRY A TORCH FOR SOMEONE"?

Answer
Prior to the use of electric lighting, and when the dying were cared for in their homes, vigils were held with various prayers and devotions and candles were used for lighting.  I assume the ritual has carried over to this day as a sign of respect and the honoring of tradition.

The association of a torch with love may date to the Greek and Roman tradition of a wedding torch, lit in the bride’s hearth on her wedding night, then used to light the hearth in her new home. Such a torch is associated with the Greek god of marriage.  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/carry_a_torch_for

General History

Captainoutrageous