General History/Iceland in 1863

Question
Is it possible to have a list of major events that happened in Iceland in the year 1863 please? I am doing a report for my literature class about "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" by Jules Verne (which is set on the island) and I am trying to work out why he set it in 1863.

Answer
Hi Harry,

I don't think there was any particularly significant event in Iceland that year.  It was a fairly quiet lightly populated farming community.  Verne set the story in that year most likely because he wrote the book in that year.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

General History

Michael Troy