General History/Rome - Augustus and the princip position

what is your opinion of the Princep during Augustus reign,was it a merely a title or an illusion of autocracy which he had tried to hide.

More importantly i have trouble trying to determine how this new position fits into the rule of the republic which Augustus wanted to restore

Precep was simply a term the Emperors adopted to make clear they were in charge, without taking on the trappings or titles of royalty since that would have created resentment.  It was an attempt to retain some of the trappings of the old Republic while consolidating power in a single man.  Augustus never really seemed serious about rebuilding the Republic.  He talked about it, but maintained his power.

- Mike  

General History

Michael Troy

My specialties are 17th through 19th Century history, especially in the Americas and Europe. I also have a fair knowledge of ancient Greek and Roman History, and some knowledge of Medieval European history. My expertise is focuses on Military and political history, but I`ll take a crack at anything.

I have been a guest lecturer at George Washington University. Mostly, I have just read hundreds of books about world history.

J.D. Univ. of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar