General History/Thomas Jefferson

Hi! I have to do this research paper on Thomas Jefferson and I was wondering if you could help me out. I need to write about the things he did to change American History. I already know much about what he did with the Dec. of Independence and the Louisiana Purchase. Do you know anything else significant that Jefferson accomplished? thanks.

Hi Victor,

Thomas Jefferson once wrote down what he thought were his three most important accomplishments, which he wanted written on his tombstone.

The first was authoring the Declaration of Independence.

The second was authoring the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom.  This held that no Virginian would be compelled to support any religion and that the government could not discriminate against citizens based on religion.  It was seen as one of the forerunners of the First Amendment.

The third was founder of the University of Virginia.  After Jefferson left the Presidency, the University of Virginia became his primary focus.  He set it on the path to become the important educational institution that it is today.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

General History

Michael Troy

My specialties are 17th through 19th Century history, especially in the Americas and Europe. I also have a fair knowledge of ancient Greek and Roman History, and some knowledge of Medieval European history. My expertise is focuses on Military and political history, but I`ll take a crack at anything.

I have been a guest lecturer at George Washington University. Mostly, I have just read hundreds of books about world history.

J.D. Univ. of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar