General History/Ancient Western civilization

Question
What was the authority and principles on which the Hittite Laws, Hammurabiís Law Code and Laws of the Hebrews are based?

Answer
I'm hardly an expert of ancient law. But as far as I have understood the situation the old laws of Hammurabi and the Hebrews were both based on the concept of "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". If someone had an eye poked out the guilty person also had an eye poked out. The Hittite laws seem to be more "modern". They concentrated on compensation. If someone tore down your house he had to rebuild it. I do hope that explains it!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

General History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.