General History/Freedom of Religious

Question
Why is freedom of religious is very important in America.

Answer
Hi Arsha,

Freedom of religion is generally considered to be a fundamental right, important throughout the world.  But it is especially important in the US given the diversity of religions in the country.  Most countries have had hundreds, or even thousands of years of an official State religion which compelled people to be members of that religion.  Even though most countries today no longer have these requirements on their populations, the people of those countries tend to be overwhelmingly members of the traditional religion of the country.

By contrast, the US has taken in immigrants from so many different countries that no one tradition, culture, or religion could dominate.  If there was not a well established freedom of religion, we could find ourselves engaged in religious wars, as people would fear that if their religion did not dominate, they might be forced to become members of some other religion which did.  As a result, the religious wars that dominated Europe in the 14th-18th Centuries could have followed immigrants to the US resulting in such wars here.

- Mike  

General History

Michael Troy