General History/the american revolution

Question
What is your perspective on the rights and responsibilities acquired during the revolutionary war and how do you think that this has impacted modern day society?

Answer
Hi James,

I think the founding fathers would take strong issue with your premise.  Their whole argument was not that rights and responsibilities were acquired by the Revolution.  Rather the Revolution was fought in the protection of inherent rights that the colonists had always had as free Englishmen, and which the British government had suddenly tried to limit or destroy.

That said, many of the values for which the Revolutionary generation fought are still valued today.  Basic rights such as free speech, the right to bear arms, the right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure, or to have legal protections at trial are all still highly valued.  Americans continue to value many of these rights more than many other countries.  The importance of these values to Americans is a direct result of how important they were to the revolutionary generation.

- Mike  

General History

Michael Troy