General History/slavery

how were field slaves different from house slaves and which do u think was more difficult for a slave.

Every slave experience was different depending on personality and the expectation of the master.  But generally speaking, most considered it preferable to be a house slave rather than a field slave.

Field slaves tended to work very long hours out in the fields, in the hot sun.  There were no machines to do the planting and harvesting as there is today, so much of the work had to be done hunched over, which tended to damage people's backs over time.

By contrast, house slaves did work around the house, often caring for the master's children, preparing food, doing light cleaning around the house.  This was usually preferable to field work.  In addition, because of proximity to the master, house slaves tended to be better clothed and fed.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

General History

Michael Troy

My specialties are 17th through 19th Century history, especially in the Americas and Europe. I also have a fair knowledge of ancient Greek and Roman History, and some knowledge of Medieval European history. My expertise is focuses on Military and political history, but I`ll take a crack at anything.

I have been a guest lecturer at George Washington University. Mostly, I have just read hundreds of books about world history.

J.D. Univ. of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar