General History/Settler Imperialism- 17c Atlantic

Provide a definition of "Settler Imperialism". What were some of the ways in which colonists practiced settler imperialism? What were the effects of this imperial strategy to the creation of the Atlantic World?

Hi Marie, and thank you for your question,
Settler Imperialism is when settlers move into an area and settle there, driving out previous inhabitants. In the Atlantic World this refers to European colonists driving out Native Americans.

The most visible way this happened is through war, for instance, King Phillip's War of the 1670s when the colonists of New England drove the last Native American tribes out of New England. Less visible ways included the accidental or intentional introduction of diseases into native populations. Other times the Native Americans were induced to leave by treaties, for instance, William Penn purchased huge portions of Pennsylvania from the native peoples.

The effects of this imperial strategy included the destruction of the native cultures. This imperial strategy was very successful at ensuring the transfer of European culture to North America.

Hope this helps,

General History

C.M. Aaron

My interests are pretty diverse: military history, technology, and social trends for most historical eras, general U.S. history, European history, especially Roman and early medieval history but also the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, European colonialism in Africa, a little bit of Asian history, especially as it relates to European and American imperialism. I'm also pretty good with presidential history.

I've read hundreds of history books on various subjects. I've also been writing historical fiction for about twenty years. Story development drives my research. I am also a tour guide at a local museum.

Bachelor's degree in history and geography.