General History/History

Question
I was wondering if you could explain to me the history of English American colonies up until 1700. My history teacher is awful and doesn't explain anything. I have an essay due and the prompt is Describe the economic, political, religious, and social differences among the English North American colonies by 1700. How did each of these impact the manner in which the colonies developed." Of course he went over none of this. I don't want an answer but if you could explain to me what colonies he's speaking of? Where in North America they were? What is a colony?

Thanks

Answer
Hi Bill,

This is a common question that comes up frequently in history classes.  

During the 1600's Great Britain established 13 colonies in North America.  These eventually became the 13 States that established the United States of America.  A colony is usually defined as an area that is controlled by or belongs to a country and is usually far away from it.  In this case, the colonies involved were Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts Bay, Maryland, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.

In answering this question, people usually divide the colonies into three groups: the New England colonies: New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island, the middle colonies: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland, and the Southern Colonies of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.  Each group was settled by different people, had fairly different religious and economic development.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

General History

Michael Troy